Friday 21 June 2013

DVD: The History of the Eagles

No, not the football team, the singing group....


This is a great show. I like to think of myself as a bit of an amateur musical historian, and although I already knew most of the stuff in this documentary, it's really nice to have it all in one place. This documentary covers the entire history of the band, from the very beginning right up to this very moment. One thing I didn't see was an explanation of where the name "Eagles" came from. I'll watch it again an see if I missed it the first time around.

I have read criticism of how dictatorial Glen Frey and Don Henley were portrayed in this film. I don't think being dictatorial in a band situation is necessarily a bad thing. If I was in a hugely successful band being run by two exceptionally smart guys like Frey and Henley I would be extremely happy. I would let them do all the management stuff and I would just enjoy playing. I'm sure I would make good money anyway, but without the stress of making all the tough decisions.


I actually got my copy from my local supermarket for not much money at all and I consider it fantastic value for money, just like all the Eagles CD's I own. The documentary is split over 2 discs, which is nice, but I think they could possibly have fit the whole show onto a single double layered disc. Not that I'm complaining about something trivial like that.

If you're an Eagles fan, you need to get this. If you just like musical documentaries then you need to get this as well, because this is a great one.



No comments:

Post a Comment