Friday 6 September 2013

My New Favourite Springsteen Song

I've just discovered a long lost Springsteen song that is rapidly becoming my favourite Springsteen song of all time.

A few weeks ago I took the plunge and decided to splash out a few bucks and buy a few CDs. One was "Wrecking Ball", one was the "String Quartet Tribute To Springsteen", and one was called "The Promise".


Back in the mid to late seventies, Springsteen released the "Darkness On The Edge Of Town" album. It was his first album in three years, the delay was mainly because of a law suit that kept him out of the studio for a long time. For the project, Springsteen recorded a LOT of songs, about 70 or 80. Some made it onto the Darkness album, but the rest were left in the vaults. Some songs escaped and were released on bootlegs (some of which I have). A couple were gifted to other people, and became big hits (Because the Night was given to Patti Smith and Fire was given to the Pointer Sisters).


Many years later, some more tracks, this time cleaned up, were released on the box set "Tracks". But it wasn't until 2010 that a whole bunch more were polished up and released on a two CD compilation called "The Promise" (There was also a DVD released about the making of the Darkness album, which I bought about a week and a half ago. It's excellent). It was on "The Promise" that I discovered the song "Save My Love"


I didn't actually pick up on this song immediately. I sort of fast forwarded through the tracks initially, just to see what was there. It was only later that I got stuck on Save My Love. Now of course I can't stop listening to it. I play a little bit of guitar, so I even learned how to play it (luckily the chords are easy to play). Of course, I can't really sing....

I actually found a nice audience video of the song on YouTube. Here it is:

"Save My Love" on YouTube


No comments:

Post a Comment