Sunday 15 September 2013

Movie: Robbie Williams - Take The Crown Tour

I only found out about this movie at about 2AM this morning (I'm a night owl), so I don't know if this movie has been playing for long, or if it was a special screening for today only. Anyway, I booked a seat and went along to see it.


This latest tour is a comeback tour of sorts. He doesn't done a major tour since 2006. In the meantime he released a couple of successful albums (sales-wise that is. A lot of critics were unimpressed, but what would they know?). I liked Rudebox. I thought it was great that he would try something daring instead of doing more of the same. I also liked the next album, Reality Killed the Video Star, although it was less experimental than Rudebox.

The current tour is in support of his latest album, Take the Crown, which I haven't got yet, but look forward to hearing. He presented some of the songs in the movie I saw today.

The concert was spectacular. He's really gone all out with his staging. He had some great Robbie Williams "Heads", made out of steel and other materials:


 And his band is first rate (I think I'm in love with one his backup singers!). He plays all his big hits, and I'm sure he could have gone on for much longer. The only downer was that Williams was performing with a bad back, which restricted his movement, so his usual high energy running around was curtailed a fair bit. No matter though. He sounds as good as ever, and he has a real easy rapport with his audience. That's made more remarkable by the fact that this concert takes place in Estonia. I wouldn't have thought that too many people would understand English, but I'm probably wrong.

There are quite a few clips from this show, in Tallinn, on YouTube, including some from the concert that weren't in the movie:

"Strong", from Tallinn concert

And I found this backstage video as well:

Preparing for Tallinn


No comments:

Post a Comment