Saturday 20 July 2013

CD: Ice On The Dune by Empire Of The Sun

I've waited a long four years for this CD...


This is another great album from the prodigiously talented Luke and Nick. First of all, I just want to say just how happy I am that they didn't just do a remake of Walking On A Dream. This CD sounds very different to the first one. Whereas the first CD has a more light and poppy sound,  this latest album has a more dense, layered sound. I don't know what they did, but they have treated Luke's voice so that it sounds huge. There's plenty of echo there. I love it. I think he sounds better on this album than on the first.


This may sound strange, but I think Ice On The Dune is a better album, but Walking On A Dream has better songs. What I mean by that is that the songs on Ice On The Dune sit better together, it flows nicely from one song into the next. The songs on Walking On A Dream are great pop songs that sit nicely on their own. I'm not sure I explained that as well as I could, but I can't think of a better way to put it right now.

There are some great songs on here that I really like a lot. The albums kicks off with a great orchestral track (which is a favourite type of music of mine), and then goes into the best song on the CD (in my humble opinion!), called DNA. Having said that, there really isn't a bad song on the whole album. My only gripe is that it's too short! I want more! I suppose I'll just have to wait for the next one now.

As usual, the art work work is superb. I have this fantasy. I've been thinking recently of getting a tattoo, or maybe a few, and I think it would be great to have a tattoo designed by Luke Steele. How cool would that be?. I don't think it'll happen though.


A few years ago, I had the opportunity to get Luke to sign my Walking On A Dream CD:


Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to meet Luke in person. I have met a few members of his family though, who live not far from from me. I met his father many years ago when I was a member of the blues club and he was running it (he still does). I met his sister Katy in the park when she was walking her dog. And I know his mother. We are both members of the West Coast Eagles football club and occasionally she drives me to the games. She's a very nice lady.

In preparation for this post, I put Ice On The Dune and Walking On A Dream back to back on my MP3 player so I could compare the two while I was doing my regular long walk today. I haven't actually listened to Walking On A Dream for a few years, so I couldn't really remember what it was like. I have to say that it sounds a lot better than I remember it from the first time I heard it. It sounds really good. Standing On The Shore is an outstanding song, maybe the best on the album. And that's saying a lot considering that We Are The People is also there as well. But the real surprise was a song called Swordfish Hotkiss Night. I just can't stop listening to it. It's very quickly jumped up on my list a favourite songs.




No comments:

Post a Comment