Sunday 27 July 2014

Movie: 3D Captain America - The Winter Soldier

Watch out! There be spoilers ahead (potentially)!


I may be getting jaded, but these superhero movies, especially the Marvel ones, are all starting to look the same. There's a superhero, a really evil bad guy, the world is about to end, superhero pummels bad guy in the last scene, world lives to see another day. Really, the superhero is interchangeable with these story lines. This could be a Thor movie, or an Iron Man movie.

That's not to say this isn't a good movie. I liked it very much. Chris Evans is a very likeable hero. It's just that there were no surprises in this movie. It really is a by-the-book superhero movie. If it was up to me, every superhero movie would be under the control of Joss Whedon, but unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world. I can't wait for the next Avengers movie.

If you are a watcher of the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show (and if not, why not? It's excellent), then the plot of this movie will be familiar. It's pretty much the same as this movie. Bad guys Hydra take over S.H.I.E.L.D., and Captain America has to save it. That's what I meant earlier when I said there were no surprises in this movie.


The highlight of this movie for me was the performance of Sebastian Stan as the bad guy. This guy is really charismatic, and I've got no doubt we'll see him in more movies. It was really great to see Robert Redford as the chief bad guy as well. He adds a certain gravitas to this movie. I also thought the Captain America uniform was superbly designed, even the one at the end that he took out of the museum.

The ending of the movie sets up the next Captain America movie, and because of the box office popularity of this current Captain America, there's no doubt it will becoming in a couple of years time.

My summary, Winter Soldier is an ok movie, I liked it, but it's not the best movie I've seen so far this year. It's certainly not as good as the Avengers, but who's going to compete with the sharp mind of Joss Whedon?

No comments:

Post a Comment